Tuesday, April 11, 2017

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Reading...


Well, dear readers, I’m a little more than halfway through my YApril reading list, and I’m burning out. Maybe it’s because every day the news from the real world is beyond alarming, or that my own personal demons are howling at that door, OR that most of the books I’ve been reading haven’t been able to distract me from all of the above, but guys YApril isn’t having its usual energizing effect on me. Three of the last four books I’ve read have ranged from wildly, infuriatingly offensive (Look Both Ways) to boring and disappointing (Symptoms of Being Human & Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruits). The only book that I’ve absolutely loved so far is Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. It’s a sweet and largely positive book, the only drawback of course is that it’s not an #ownvoices book.

Now, you may be wondering why I’m writing this. What am I getting at? Well reader, as it turns out Ms. Albertalli’s new book The Upside of Unrequited was released today, and I’m interrupting my regularly schedule TBR and moving this one to the top.
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.
Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly's totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie's new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. If Molly can win him over, she'll get her first kiss and she'll get her twin back. 
There's only one problem: Molly's coworker, Reid. He's a chubby Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there's absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. 
Right?


I’ve been seeing this one popping up all over BookTube and Bookstagram, and I knew that I was going to have to read it eventually, buuuuuuuut after seeing Cece Ewing’s Spoiler-Free Review on her Problems of a Book Nerd BookTube channel yesterday I decided that I HAD to read it ASAP.



The review makes me confident that, even though it’s not #ownvoices and the main character isn’t LGBTQ+, there is plenty of diversity and representation to satisfy the requirements of this month’s theme. After the bummer that was Symptoms of Being Human, this seems like it will definitely be a much needed happy read… I hope it’s a happy read… I need some happy right now.
So, yeah, I’ll be reading taking a quick break and reading The Upside of Unrequited and then I’ll get back to our regularly scheduled TBR.


Also, you should definitely check out Problems of a Book Nerd, it’s a delightful channel and Cece has great taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment